Wednesday, December 13

Co-op Notes

So while I was ego-surfing last night I not only realized that my blog's page-rank is slipping but theres a new news article that I didn't know about. The University is still using my name as a recruitment tool. Seems okay except for the "Co-op Placements at Google"; While co-op helped me get there experience wise, Google is not an official co-op employer and their experience with the students has been one-off situations.

Yes Vince, my school is still making a big deal of it. Probably until another student goes to Google or somewhere bigger (does one exist? j/k) I'm going to be used for publicity. And in reality I like being able to help the school cause I really believe that it is a great school and there are things that I can do to improve it.

I personally have put a lot of work into the co-op program. I have sat on many committees and even helped customize the program for computer science. I believe that it is very important and useful for students to get real world experience before graduation. Not only to get a job but to make sure you are in the right place... find your area of expertise or at least what you don't like. It's been an awesome experience for me.

2 comments:

Vince said...

I love the quote:

"This past summer, Janna-Lynn competed in a tough selection process for an internship position at Google Corporation and won!

Although Janna-Lynn is in her third year at University of Windsor, her predecessors at the Google internship position were a PhD holder and a master’s candidate."

This makes it seem like there was only ONE internship slot at Google and you "won" it! And that you beat out PhD graduates and master's students to get it!

P.S. I love the little Canadian flag in the bottom right corner of that page b/c no one knows where Windsor is :p

JL said...

sigh....

I know I'm looking into it.
Like I said... I wasn't asked about this one.