Thursday, January 18

Gender Roles - Psych 101...

So I'm sitting in my very full psych class of course pondering my life and why I do what I do, and the new subject starts... Gender Roles and our society. Now I'm the first to admit I don't fit in to most models of femininity but I do have my moments.

The listed traditional masculine traits: decisiveness, assertiveness, independent, leader
The listed traditional feminine traits: sensitivity, warmth, nurturer, passive

Humm... quite the list to pick from there... anyways... I tend to lean towards the Androgyny model... where I have some of both (as most people do) I just think that my masculine traits are more developed based on my career and personal attitudes. And I'm not sure that how I really want to be portrayed all the time.

I love that I can be just one of the guys and that its not awkward when I'm the only girl in the classroom. But lately I've been feeling... overlooked as a girl... many of the guys seem to forget that I am in fact a girl. Comments along the lines of "there are no girls in CS" are funny to a point... but tend to get below the skin after a while. Don't get me wrong I don't want to be singled out and I don't want the wrong kind of attention... but I don't want to lose my identity either.

Sigh... more cleavage shirts I guess.

2 comments:

Vince said...

Uhhh... you're a girl? :p

Anonymous said...

yay cleavage :)