Monday, August 21

My Internal OS War

So its Monday again, meaning I'm not just ready to push myself to work on my last bits of work here yet. So here we have another Blog update. This weekend I did some work at home on my work term (herein after referred to as WT) report. Not a lot of work but probably about a page. Now at one point my computer starts to freeze up for whatever reason and I think. Oh Man, I have to save all this stuff. So quickly I save the 12 tabs I have open in FireFox and I save the copy of my WT report. Shut down and restart, didn't really think anything of it. This morning I think, o crap I have to email it in so that I can continue working on it here at work. Only to find that I "saved" in the temp directory without warning and now my work is lost. (I know there is probably a way to get it back but I can probably type it up faster than trying to figure it out.)
"A refund for defective software might be nice, except it would bankrupt the entire software industry in the first year."
This is not the first time that something like this has happened. I do use word and many of the Office programs and for the most part I do enjoy them. I also like using Windows. I'm used to the system and I've found a variety of ways to customize it to my need. I like having my pick of software to use and games to play. However I still can't help but wonder if I'm missing something by not really paying attention to the other operating systems. I'm sure there will still be a list of annoyances with any of the systems but is there a value that I'm not seeing. Macs look pretty sexy but my Dell was pretty sharp when I bought it... and the flat monitor never goes out of style.

Maybe the OS doesn't matter anymore cause the Internet is the Internet right. If you can get online with a reputable browser the best of the Internet should be accessible to you. With products like writely and spreadsheets popping up anything is possible online. Where do you place your trust on your computer or in the server. Should I just feed my online addiction more. Who reading this can really go more than 24 hours without at least wanting to check their email? Assuming you haven't checked it about 50 times a day. I can't really say I get that much email but I'm usually pretty prompt about responding to it.

I'm at a point where I'm now commonly see people not use Windows as their main OS. Where CS people and engineers will pick up and use other systems regularly. A few years ago I would hardly know anyone who wasn't using windows. But I don't think it is that Windows is "losing the battle" I just think my phase in life has changed. I'm not sure where this blog was going, and now I'm not sure how to end it. I'll post about my trip to the city later this week.

No comments: