Wednesday, August 9

Work Term Report Rant

So its been an odd week for me so far. My brain just doesn't want to function and when I try to work nothing comes out. I'm close to the end of my work term but relative to everyone else I still have a lot of time left. I'm not sure if I will get a new study again before I leave for home I haven't really asked. I'm currently working on finishing my last study and then working on my work term report for school.

I realized that I don't know if there is a good way to do my work term report that won't make me look foolish. For school, I know the level they are expecting and the amount of front end details that I will have to put in, such as,
"Usability is a term used to denote the ease with which people can employ a particular tool or other human-made object in order to achieve a particular goal. Usability can also refer to the methods of measuring usability and the study of the principles behind an object's perceived efficiency or elegance."
However, I also know that this will be read by my mentor as well as the head of user experience research at Google. So either they will think I'm slow for dumbing it down so much OR I'm going to screw up and they are going to be like, what the heck!? this girl doesn't even know what usability is.

The interesting part is that I think my topic is going to be something that they are very interested in right now and will either a. love my ideas and implement them or b. be able to contradict everything I say with some journal that they read that I never heard of.

On an almost unrelated note, I'm considering graduate school, so I can get my master in HCI. The tricky part is I don't know anything about the processes and I haven't thought of schools yet. I'm looking for one of the programs that is geared towards industry and not towards phds. I've heard good things about CMU, GA Tech, and Stanford. For Canadian schools Calgary apperently has a good program. I need to do more research.

Going ons: Last night was the Google Dance, Friday is the company picnic, tonight is Vince and Brian's going away party. I'm addicited to Starbucks frappuccinos, and I have to book my flight soon.

No comments: