Monday, September 4

From the Flight Home

So this is my entertainment on my flight home. It’s almost a little too cramped to type but it’s do-able. It keeps my mind off the time, which seems to be creeping by. Currently listening to my shuffle, I’m not sure what I would do without it.

So, like Vince, both my bags were overweight somehow. 54 and 56. I didn’t quite realize how much they charged for an overweight bag. And now I know. Also, the first flight in the morning has no real need to be 3 hours early… or even 1.5 hours early like I was… since nothing is open, no ticketing, no security nothing. Anyways, it gave me a little more time with Sean.

It was so hard to walk away at the airport. That’s all I’m going to say about that. It just sucked.

Reflection on the summer: It was a great summer. Excellent experience and made me grow up a lot actually. I feel much more confident now in myself and in my direction in life. As well as with Sean (which I was pretty confident in before). I made some really good friends that I know I’ll keep in touch with, and hopefully I’ll see them again. I missed my family and friends at home and when/if I do it again I will make a little more effort to keep in touch with them.

I learned that sometimes even when you plan and plan it doesn’t go right or someone else gets a better deal. The bike…. Then the car… is a good example of that. I was so sure I would be okay with that bike. And I’m sure if I would have somehow been able to stick with it I wouldn’t have put on the GWeight. The Google 15 is much like the Freshman 15. At least now I’ll have time to head back to the gym (I hope).

I’m looking forward to seeing everyone again. I’m not sure I’m ready to go back to school I’ve been out of it for so long I’m not sure I’ll remember how it works. I’m actually worried about being able to motivate myself to do homework. I like the fact that I am able to leave work at work and have my nights to myself.

I’m already scheduled to do a few talks when I get back to Windsor, which is fine with me. I’m not sure exactly what I’m going to say and I think I’m going to use the rest of the flight to try and work that out… but I’m getting more comfortable with my public speaking. I’m sure the class will help some too.

This summer I got time to think about my future and where I want to take my career. I have a few ideas but I think the first step is a masters program in HCI. A few times this summer I wished that I knew a little more about my field. Specifically, when people were naming names of researchers that everyone else seemed to know. I’m not sure where I’ll do my masters or even if I’ll try working for a few years first. I have a little time to think about that.

I suppose that’s enough for now… If I think of anything interesting I’ll …uh… let you know?

No comments: